I suggest you ...

Server-level object support (SQL Agent jobs, linked servers et al)

Ability to import server-level objects from the target database server into the project.

Currently we recommend that server-level objects be scripted manually and stored within the "additional scripts" folders (https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/RR1/Additional+Scripts). It would be great if there was a more automated compare-and-sync style way of handling these.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ReadyRollAdminReadyRoll (SQL Project Tools, ReadyRoll) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Adding native server level object support to RR would really round out the product. Including server level objects in existing db projects functionally works but introduces several challenges. These challenges, in most scenarios, can be accounted for but doing so deviates from other standard best practices with RR projects.

One way to minimize the impacts is to have an "empty database" project that just contains the server level objects. The challenge with this is that RR expects there to be a database associated to the project. This requires that a "fake" database actually exist.

Ideally, you could have an RR "Server" Project which would provide clear separation and intent of Database & Server Projects with each project type gracefully handling the nuances of their corresponding type.

Feedback and Knowledge Base