I suggest you ...

Create Chocolatey package for installing and updating ReadyRoll installations

Currently VS displays a notification when there is a new version of ReadyRoll. However, unfortunately, the update can't run inside of VS and instead a web page is opened with a link to download the new version of ReadyRoll. Instead of manually downloading and installing new versions it would be handy if there was a Chocolatey package for ReadyRoll which would allow for auto installation and updates.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ChrisChris shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChrisChris commented  · 

Thanks Daniel,

One observation about the new process, the installation requires an escalation in permissions. Once installation completed it automatically started Visual Studio, but since the installation process was running with escalated permissions Visual Studio was launched with escalated permissions as well. I believe this observation is correct, I only noticed Visual Studio was behaving differently afterwards, so I didn't pay too close attention to the installation process.

• ReadyRollAdminReadyRoll (SQL Project Tools, ReadyRoll) commented  · 

Thanks for your submission, Chris.

This week we made some improvements to the update process so that, for future releases, you will no longer have to leave Visual Studio to upgrade the ReadyRoll extension. Upgrading will still necessitate a restart of the IDE, however, as this is unfortunately a limitation of the way that the plugin system works in Visual Studio.

Having said that, we're also quite fond of the simplicity of Chocolatey installations, so I'll keep this open for the community to lend their support to this idea.

Best Regards,

Daniel Nolan

Product Manager
        ReadyRoll

Feedback and Knowledge Base